.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

16 and 4 months!


This week my boys will turn 16 and 4 months! I always say it but time really is flying by. We went and visited a friend with a 1 month old this past week and he was so tiny compared to my John-Mark. I can't believe he's so big! He goes for his 4 month check up on Monday and we'll see how much he weighs now!
What's new with James:
James continues to be all about playing and talking about balls. He can find a round object anywhere and has to shout to me "ba ba". Yesterday I was sitting in a chair and he was standing beside me and he started "ba" almost like a question and I looked down and he was pointing at the round tacks in the arm of the chair! He is also starting to say more words but I'm probably the only one who can understand him. He says Charlie but leaves out the L and he points outside and says "sigh, sigh". He also loves to bring me things and say "see, see" And yes, he repeats everything like this. He also knows how to say please but only does it for other people. He will not say it for Jeremy and I but if someone else has food and asks him to say please he will totally do it! When he was about 6 months old I started trying to teach him some basic sign language to help him communicate with us until he started really talking. After several months I gave up because I felt like it was a futile cause. The only sign he has ever done is the sign for all gone. Then, yesterday I noticed him following me around the kitchen touching his mouth with his hand over and over (very close to the sign for eat) and I asked if he wanted to eat and he started grinning and clapping. Then I asked if he wanted more and he did the sign for more!! I couldn't believe it! It's like he just stored away that knowledge for one day when he wanted to use it. Ofcourse he doesn't do it all the time. I joke that he is very much like a cat in that he does his tricks when he wants to, not on demand :) One of the cutest things has started doing is taking a napkin and wiping his mouth and nose and he'll even go and wipe John-Mark's mouth if I ask him too, which you know just makes John-Mark light up! He loves any attention he gets from his big brother! Over the last couple of days he has started the MOST annoying habit of grinding his teeth ALL DAY LONG!! I hope it's because he is continuing to teeth and they are hurting him and once teething is finished he will stop. You can't really explain to a 16 month old what it means to stop grinding your teeth! But it is sooo annoying!
What's new with John-Mark:
John-Mark is such a smiley baby. He loves face to face contact and will look you in the eye for minutes on end which a lot of boys don't really do. If I'm looking away I'll feel him staring at me and I'll look at him and he'll give me the biggest grinner. He loves to be held and walked around with and he really loves to stand up in your lap. He will buckle those little legs and just look all around the room until he can't hold himself up anymore. He watches James all day long and I just know he's taking it all in and he's ready to just jump up and walk if he could! Several weeks ago we moved John-Mark to a 4 hour feeding schedule and over the last week we finally dropped his 10 pm feeding so he is going from 7 to 7 at night. I feel like I did this much sooner with James but I know every baby is different. So far he is doing pretty well. It seems like every third night he wakes up between 1 and 4 and I just go in and change him and give him his paci and he's goes back to sleep. Hopefully he will drop that all together soon!
Some pics from the week:
I pulled out the Johnny Jumper for John-Mark and James had to show him all the bells and whistles!
Then I guess he decided he was pooped so if John-Mark was sitting he would just lay down under him!Then after John-Mark had gone down for his nap and I took the Johnny Jumper down, this is where I found James:I've started giving the boys baths together which has been sooo sweet! I love to watch them interact with each other. As you can see, John-Mark is loving being in the tub with his big brother! He loves to "talk" to him!And moving John-Mark into the big tub meant his sink bath tub was no longer being used so James decided it was a great seat for him - I know, he's too old for a bottle but it's really hard to not give him one with he sees John-Mark getting one. He's pretty much down to just one in the a.m. so we're getting there! (Don't ya' love those Santa pj's!)Tummy Time!Just hangin' out!

5 comments:

Stephanie Drew said...

wow, they are both growing so much! you know, if you keep dressing them alike people are going to start asking you if they are twins... :)

annieck said...

They are so cute! I just can't believe how much they've grown! John-Mark isn't a newborn anymore! How did that happen???
LOVE that the sign language showed up after you gave up. Same thing happened with Asher and me. Tristan did so well with it. Asher refused. A couple of months after I quit doing it because he could talk, he suddenly started. Now he does it all the time. I think they just like keeping us on their toes and tied around their pinky fingers. :)
Your boys are precious, as always!

sweetpeamorrow said...

You boys are already getting sooooo big...i am sure you are loving having 2!!!!!!!!

sweetpeamorrow said...

Your boys are getting so big!!!!!!!!! I am sure you are loving having two!!!!! I need your new mailing address!! =)

The Latham Family said...

Your boys are just beautiful! They are so much fun, too! Robbie is always talking about how much he loves James and his 'kisses!'