As much as I can't believe John-Mark is another year older - that fact that he is ONLY 5 is a relief! He seems like such a big boy and seriously seems more like James twin rather than younger brother! He is doing way more stuff than James was at 5! I am amazed at how well he is writing and learning to read. He has always been a quick learner when it comes to anything athletic - learning to ride a bike sans training wheels before turning 4 and passing the Y swim test before 3!! This fall he is going to play baseball for the first time and I have no doubt he will knock it out of the park - literally :) For the record, anytime he wants to slow down a bit I am totally ok with it :)
For John-Mark's "special day" as he called it we started with singing, telling him how awesome he is, presents and chocolate chip muffins. We gave him a Jake and the Neverland Pirates game for the MobiGo and a spiderman and Iron Man shirt. When he saw the wrapped shirt box he was not too excited. He even said, "I hope this isn't clothes" :) (so different from James) But when he saw what was on the shirts he said, "cool!!" (I love that I know what my kids will love:) Then J took off the afternoon and it was daddy/John-Mark time. I asked if he wanted to do a family birthday lunch or just lunch with daddy and he quickly picked lunch with just daddy :) So I planned lunch at Chuck E Cheese and a fun afternoon of swimming at a local Y that has just renovated their pool and added two slides and a splash pad. We didn't tell him what he was going to do until he got in the car with J but he made sure to let us know that going to a Braves game like his big brother did on his birthday was NOT his idea of a fun "special day". J said when they pulled up to Chuck E Cheese John-Mark was so excited he was afraid he was going to pee in his pants!!! The kid loves to play video games and it doesn't happen very much so we was super pumped!! The trip to the pool was a blast too. J said JM went up and down the slides no less than 30x - and that's probably a conservative estimate! This boy LOVES water. I asked if he thought he missed his brothers and sister and J said he never mentioned them once. Aside from the fact that just by nature he is totally fine with playing alone - I think he LOVED the one on one time with his daddy :)
And then we were 4 - August 14, 2008 - in some ways this seems so long ago and in some ways it seems like yesterday :(
Sweet baby boy had tummy troubles the first couple of weeks and I thought we weren't going to make it - but he loved sleeping on his tummy on us - I remember this so vividly :)
And he's off - walking before his first birthday
Happy 1st Birthday baby boy!!
2 years old - our water baby :)
3 years old - first ball and glove from Daddy
3 years old and became a big brother again!! Love his long, blonde summer hair :)
4 years old!
My silly boy - dressed himself for bed :)
5 years old - spending the day at the pool - heaven!!
Dear John-Mark -
oh, my handsome baby boy! You stole my heart when I first saw that sweet face 5 years ago. I can't think of too many things that I have enjoyed in my life as much as watching you grow and explore over the last five years. I look forward to seeing what God has planned for you and seeing you fulfill all the potential He has put in you!
Some of the things I love about you:
- I love how much you love your big brother and like to be with him.
- I love how you always remind me that when you grow up I am going to live with you so I don't have to be sad :)
- I love how you could eat PB & J everyday and be totally content
- I love how you love your favorite toys and can entertain yourself for hours with Buzz Lightyear or Lego's or dressing up as a a Super Hero :)
- I love how you make friends so easily and will play with anyone
- I LOVE watching you do what you love - SWIM!!
- I love that you are always up for an adventure and challenge - you will try anything!
- I love that you are feisty and don't let anyone get one over on you -
- I love when you get silly and make silly faces and silly dance moves
- I love how you are totally content not being the center of attention and are totally happy to watch everyone have fun and you join in when you feel like it. I have no worries about you struggling with peer pressure :)
- I love that I can set my clock by when you rise and go to the bed - our Rooster
- I love that you love to do math and learn new things - and that you are really good at math!
- I love that you are so willing to share (most days)
The sky is the limit for you baby boy - I know nothing will ever stop you from reaching your dreams! Keep living life like an adventure - it's so fun to watch!!
James decided he wanted to make his own list for John-Mark - here it is :)
John-Mark - I think you are awesome because
- you're a good friend
- You're and awesome helper -
- You're awesome at playing games
- You're and awesome friend to play Lego's with
- You're very, very, very, special when you color with me and always color inside the lines good
- You're awesome when you watch me do things (play baseball etc.)
He also made him a special Lego creation out if his own Lego stash and even gave him THREE Lego men - real love right there!!






No comments:
Post a Comment