.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 14, 2008

Oh John-Mark!
Where to start with you. From the day I found out you were joining our family you have surprised me and kept me on my toes! (You weren't so much a surprise - we knew we wanted another baby after James was born but we were surprised that you joined us so soon after James was born - but God knew:) You are my high energy, determined, story telling, gadgety, handsome, thoughtful, water loving, silly silly boy!  You have been waiting for this day since the day your brother turned 4 last year and it's finally here! Thankfully you haven't mentioned 5 yet :)
You LOVE to have FUN - and you can do it solo or with a friend - either is great with you. You can play by yourself with a fun toy for WAY longer than any of your siblings. Sometimes you remind me of Andy from Toy Story when you play because you are so creative and come up with lots of fun things just for you and Spider Man to do! Of course, this isn't surprising since Toy Story is one of your favorite movies :) You also LOVE to tell us stories. You crack me up all the time because you will be talking to me soooo seriously about something and I'm listening very intently and then I realize it's totally some made up story - maybe about you and your friend that lives in California (!?) or you and your daddy catching sharks. You have quite the imagination. Your latest is telling your brother and sister all about God telling you if you would go to Ninevah He would give you a treat but you didn't want the treat and didn't want to go because the people there are bad :) You totally engage them and Gracie will ask you all sorts of questions and you totally make it up as you go.  Maybe we should have named you Jonah :) You are so the kind of kid I wished I was when I was little. I was so bad at make believe and it made for lots of boring days but it's pretty rare for you to EVER be bored!
Of course you continue to be close with James and Gracie - the three of ya'll always coming up with some fun game to play (most times that you have made up :) You love Benjamin and tell me often that he's the best baby but you're not too interested to hold him or play with him too much. You continue to be an awesome swimmer and LOVE all things water! The pool Papa Duck bought us this summer has been so much fun for you! You would swim in it all day every day if I would let you :) We watched lots of swimming the last couple of weeks with the Olympics and I asked you if you wanted to learn how to swim like they do to which you responded, "no, that looks too hard". Typical John-Mark - I like what I'm doing - no reason to change now :)
Even though you're not as concerned with hanging out with friends as your brother you never really meet a stranger. You have no problem walking up to adults and shaking their hands and saying, "hi, I'm John-Mark, nice to meet you". You crack me up because you never ask other kids their name and I often hear you playing at the play ground with new kids saying, "hey boy" or "hey girl"!
I'm not sure who you get it from more, your dad or me but you are pretty strong willed and determined. As you get older you are falling in to line a little better but you still like to push the limit quite often.  Your dad and I laugh at how "in charge" you would be if we hadn't been constantly working with you since before you could even walk when we saw what a strong little personality you have.
As much as you love to be a big boy you also love for me to just hold you sometimes or sit in my lap and watch cartoons.   With so many babies around here I don't get to do it near enough but I love our special time together. You LOVE when I hold you like a baby and sing you our song about being my baby - and I'll always ask you "are you my baby?" and you always laugh and say "yes!" So happy you still don't mind being my baby :)
You are such a special boy and hold a special place in our family. You are called to be a leader among men and a mighty warrior for the kingdom of God. Mommy and Daddy are sooo thankful for the surprise that God gave us in you and pray that we will be the parents He has called us to be to help you fulfill all the potential He has placed in you. You are going to do big things and we can't wait to watch you grow through the years! We love you silly boy!! Happy 4th Birthday!!

No comments: