The day I became a mom for the first time!
Dear James,
Today you are 5 years old! 5 years old! For some reason your mommy is really taking this birthday hard. Maybe it's because 5 is REALLY a big boy. Of course we've been calling you a big boy for years but now you really are. You, on the other hand are SOOO excited about this birthday and already talking about when you're 6!! Please slow down!
Over the past year I feel like you have grown up so much. You are showing us so much more maturity everyday. You continue to be a big help to me and have started doing more regular chores like emptying bathroom trash cans, putting up silverware, setting the table and "fetching" things I need for the other kids :) And you usually are pleased to do it and will even proudly tell your brother "I can't play right now I have a job to do" :) (praying you keep this up!) You are an AMAZING big brother and love your brothers and sister like crazy. You and John-Mark love to wrestle but you're usually careful to not hurt him :). Y'all also love to race either on foot or in the pool. You are so sweet to play "getting married" with your sister (which consists of her wearing a tutu and y'all holding hands and spinning around in circles together:). You also always comment when she, or I for that matter have on a pretty dress or our hair looks pretty. Then of course with Benjamin you help me make sure he hasn't sneaked off to play in the potty or put anything dangerous in his mouth. You love to help he and Gracie get out of their seat belts any time we go any where. You are just a great little helper and I'm so thankful for all you do! You're also looking forward to being a big brother again in September and have lots of suggestions for baby names. So far your favorites have been Ellie or Emily for a girl and Andrew (Andy) for a boy. You're biggest concern about having another baby has been where they would fit in our van and wondering if we would have to get a new car. You were super excited when you and John-Mark recently got booster seats and we moved Gracie to the back row with you two. Now we have room for one more baby and as you have told me on several occasions - that's all! 5 babies is all we need :) I think you're right about that :)
You continue to be a PEOPLE person at your core. More than any toy or activity I could offer you - inviting a good friend over to play (or 3 or 4) makes you the most happy. You amaze me with how much you love your friends. You never get frustrated or irritated with them even if they are having "bad" days and don't want to share with you. You just love them and love to be with them.
I haven't read this in any books but I'm pretty sure this age is also known as the "policeman" stage :) As much as you love to help you also love to "police" everyone else and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do and if they are not you like to make sure I know about it :)
Over the last year you've also hit some big milestones like riding your bike without training wheels and playing tball for the first time. Both things that make you very happy and proud!
We have had some amazing conversations about Jesus this year and your heart is very receptive to learning more about Him. You even asked to pray to have Jesus in your heart which we did however I don't think you fully understand WHY you need a Savior just yet so we have had lots of great conversations about what sin is and how Jesus helps us. One of my favorite conversations is when you were talking to John-Mark and he told you he didn't love Jesus (always the one to be different:) and you quickly replied, "that's ok John-Mark, Jesus loves you even if you don't love him" - so true sweet boy, so true. You love to sing, especially worship songs and I can honestly say there are few things I love better than to be in the car with you singing any worship song at the top of your lungs:)
This past year you have also grown in to a few "quirks" of your own. You have become VERY particular about what you like to wear. Mostly baseball or football pants and a very snuggly fitting Under Armor shirt (you call them "sticky" shirts). You have several but you only like to wear the "snuggest" fitting one so I have to MAKE you take it off every couple of days so I can wash it. You will wear nicer clothes to church or to other special places but promptly change as soon as we get home. Fall shopping will be super easy for you this year :)
We are soooo blessed to have you in our family and my heart could literally burst when I think about how much I LOVE YOU! I'm a little scared to think about how much more you are going to grow up over this next year but I'm also excited to get to watch you grow in to the boy/man that God made you to be. I am so lucky that God chose me to be your mommy! I love you my BIG boy!!
Monday, August 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So. Very. Sweet! James is such a precious boy, and that's because he has a wonderful, godly mommy and daddy.
Post a Comment